DS&O advises the public and its members to folow these safety guidelines:
- Avoid floodwaters - Water may be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Always assume a downed power line is "live" or "hot" even if it looks harmless. If the wire is energized, it will electrically charge anything that comes into contact with it.
- Stay clear, warn others around you to keep away and call DS&O at 1-800-376-3533 immediately.
- Do not walk through standing water.
- If you are unsure of your safety, leave the building.